Kinderklipz offers a variety of certified children safe supplies, from dummy clips, cords, beads, and teething rings. All certified products inform the certification in the products description and a copy of the certification is available as request after purchase.
⇢ DISCLAIMER: Care and Safety
All supplies sold by Kinderklipz are intended for making accessories and should never be given or left with an unattended child. Small parts that we carry can present a choking hazard for small children and should never be left around an unsupervised child or baby.
We personally inspect all materials and supplies that we receive from our suppliers to ensure that we are sending only the best to our customers. Once our products are shipped to our customers, however, Kinderklipz waives all responsibility and liability from the use of our supplies as they should NOT be given to children directly.
Our buyers understand that by purchasing our products, the buyer assumes any and all responsibility and liability for our products and/or the use thereof. Customers should always inspect and monitor the wear and tear of their products/supplies, discontinuing use at the first sign of damage.
The cords, clasps and pacifier clips that we carry are not intended to be chewed on and should not be used as such.
⇢ DUMMY HOLDERS & BABY TOYS for Personal Use
If you make soother/dummy/pacifier holders or other baby toys and accessories as a gift to family and friends please note that your DIY holders are handmade and they have passed NO health and safety checks other than the ones done by yourself. PLEASE DO NOT allow your child to play, chew the strap or to go to bed with it. Make sure that you follow European Children Safety Standards as a guideline regarding length, secure knots, cords, beads, and others and always check the baby accessories before putting/give it to a baby.
⇢ DUMMY CLIPS & BABY TOYS for Selling
If you make and sell soother/dummy/pacifier holders and/or baby accessories then you should comply with the law and have them tested according to European Standards. Only then will you get certified as a safe product for children. Any person who sells a dummy clip holder or baby accessories must ensure they are made to the standard or they risk accepting liability and possibly being sued.
Handmade Toys and accessories should also comply with European Standards.
⇢ EUROPEAN STANDARD EN 12586 for DUMMY HOLDERS
Accidents caused by soothers/dummy holders are few and any resulting in the death of a child are almost unknown. However, a small number of children die as a result of accidents where a soother is involved, but in these cases, death almost always results from strangulation by a cord being used to hang the soother around the child's neck.
Such cords are usually either home-made or made for some other purpose, e.g. a coiled key ring holder.
This European Standard is the first for this type of product and its main aim is to eliminate the risk of strangulation. This has only been made possible by severely restricting the length of the soother holder. The length should be sufficient for its purpose while not being so long that the strap can encircle the neck and strangle even the smallest child. The lack of reported incidents involving accidents or fatalities since its introduction would suggest that this standard has achieved this main aim.
A functional soother holder is not to be considered as a toy. However, a soother holder may contain a part or be designed in such a way as to present a double use. That is the soother holder, in addition to its functional use, also has a significant playing value and therefore could also be considered as a toy. In these instances, the entire product becomes a toy as well as being a soother holder and needs to meet the requirements of both the Toy Directive as well.
Among other stipulations of EN 12586 the soother holder must be accompanied by instructions/manual. These must meet at least the following:
Warnings for children safety:
• Before each use, the entire soother holder must be checked. At the first signs of defects or damage, please discard.
• Never extend the soother holder.
• Never attach the holder on belts, straps or loose clothing. Your child can strangle.
• Information on safe use.
• Attach the soother holder only to the children's clothing.
• Do not use the soother holder when the baby is in a bed, cradle or play center.
• How to correctly clean and storage.
⇢ More information:
⇢ NICKLE FREE
The term "nickel free" can be confusing since even for products that are directly in touch with the skin (like jewelry) are marked nickel free still allow to contain a very small amount of nickel but, it is such a tiny amount that it takes extremely sensitive instruments to measure it.
⇢ AUSTRALIAN STANDARD
On 9 September 2011, Australia permanently bans baby dummy chains with decorations including crystals and beads and other similar ornaments and baby dummy chains that include pins, ribbons, strings, cords, chains, twines, leathers, yarns or any other similar article which is designed to be attached to baby dummies.
This ban applies to all dummy chains with crystals, beads or other similar ornaments (also known as 'bling') that fail to meet the requirements detailed in the permanent ban notice. These relate to the length of the chain, impact resistance, tensile strength as well as the durability of the garment fastener.
Dummy clip safety even applies to wooden and plastic beads that are attached to the ribbon/cord part.
More ACCC info on dummy clips can be found here. http://www.productsafety.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/987958/fromItemId/971557
⇢ RECOMMENDED LABORATORIES for TESTING
SLG Testing and Certification GmbH - Mrs. Yvonne Mehner
Project Manager Toys, Items for Children, Sports Equipment
Burgstädter Str. 20
Tel.: +49 (0) 3722 73 23 748
Fax: +49 (0) 3722 73 23 120
TÜV Product Service GmbH - TÜV SÜD Gruppe
⇢ BASIC SAFETY DUMMY HOLDER INSTRUCTIONS
• If using ribbon or fabric it should be a wide ribbon/fabric with a snap attached - ribbon should be 7/8" or 1" wide, not thinner.
• If using ribbon use “heavy” duty grosgrain ribbon and if it has a pattern make sure it is washable.
• If using grosgrain ribbon with 3/4" it has to pass a tensile test for strength.
• Avoid satin, shiny, thin or stretchy ribbon or elastic.
• Do not cover or glue the dummy clips with fabric or embellishments!
• Plastic suspender/lingerie/ clothes are not strong enough to pass the tests!
• Do not use/make a dummy clip claiming to be a toy clip or have multi decoration apart from the ribbon/cord!
• A lighter dummy/pacifier holder is best for the baby mouth because it will not make pressure in baby’s gums or teethes.
• Dummy clips must be permanently attached to the metal clip, no snaps/velcro or adjustable clips. The clip and the ribbon should not be detachable or removed (imagine if a baby pulled the ribbon hard enough and was left with a nice metal clip loose in their hands to chew on or swallow?).
• The ended dummy holder cannot be any longer than 22cm including the dummy clip. They cannot be lengthened or altered!